Nexus Group Principal and legal technologist Jeremy Duffy recently presented a webinar session, Electronic Contracts in Property Matters: The Digital Era is Here for the Australian legal education provider Television Education News (TEN).
“Electronic contracts are now a reality that practitioners must address. With clients and practitioners searching for more efficient ways to execute contracts and conduct transactions generally, electronic contracts are well and truly here to stay.” Jeremy said. “In my presentation, I discuss the legal elements which make an electronic contract binding and how these elements are affected by the various Electronic Transactions Acts at Commonwealth and State levels. But I also discuss the rapidly increasing development of electronic platforms designed to facilitate the negotiation, creation, execution and management of contractual transactions and where this development may go in future, particularly in the context of property related matters.”
Jeremy’s webinar presentation is available for purchase via the TEN’s legal education platform, with lawyers able to claim 1 CPD for viewing.
The topics covered in Jeremy’s session include:
- What is an electronic contract and how does it satisfy the various requirements for the formation of a contract?
- Statutory provisions regulating electronic contracts: When can electronic contracts be used?
- Executing an electronic contract: What constitutes an electronic signature?
- Electronic v digital execution: What is the difference?
- Electronic contracts as part of the wider digitisation of legal systems
- Smart contracts: The future of ‘electronic’ contracts?
- Examples of the use of digitised systems, including electronic/smart contracts, in property transactions
- Dealing with fraud, cyber security and other risks with electronic contracts
- Lessons from recent cases
Click HERE for more information about or to purchase and watch Jeremy’s webinar lecture on TEN, Electronic Contracts in Property Matters: The Digital Era is Here